DIY forged tomahawk
No sketch, no prep. Practicing hammer skills using an old high carbon railway spike for base material. I should have left more "meat" on the blade area. My main mistake here, is I pretty much worked it with the hammer, to its final dimensions. This is bad. It makes it difficult for me to do final heat treatment, and using files/stones to fine tune the final blade geometry.
Developing the form, freehand, visualizing an actual Hawk.
As seen from the side, I really wanted to give the "hawk" a bird of prey style sleekness and "beak". Designed for light bushcraft duties and throwing. Not to take down a tree or split logs.
Side view, showing the unfinished handle hole. I did some research on standard throwing tomahawk handles. I need to make a custom drift. A blacksmithing tool, used to expand the initial hole to the proper shape/taper. I am aiming to have the hawk compatible with off the shelf replacement tomahawk handles. The drift, once made, enables the smith to easily repeat the form, so each new tomahawk will fit the replacement handles perfectly.
I wanted to make sure I made my drift match some commercial Throwing Tomahawk handles which can be ordered through various sources. So I got a box of handles and while I was at it, I also ordered a nice Nordic style axe head which I'll be making my own version of soon.